Friday, March 22, 2013

spring cleaning

spring happened yesterday (and vancouver actually welcomed it with sunshine!) and so it's time to lighten up, freshen up, and reorganize my closets, drawers, and jewelry box!  going to palm springs next week is the added boost i need to get going with this spring cleaning of the closets. 
 exactly how many jeans do i need!?
 
i look forward to this task each year and have gotten better with the "if you don't wear it for six months, it must go" rule.  letting go is a hard one... i just need to loose five pounds and that cute tunic that i have never worn will fit perfectly i tell myself.  oh, how about the sentimental value of things... i bought that scarf in tahiti during my honeymoon yet i haven't worn it in over a decade! 
 
i do have a system that helps me de-clutter.
* i devote a few hours to the task, getting it done in one go so i don't loose momentum
* i try everything on... everything
i make piles for storing (usually out of season wear), tossing, consigning, donating, tailoring, and keeping
* i answer honestly to these questions, 'does it excite me?' 'does it work with my other pieces?' 'does it make me feel great?'

although it makes me thoroughly happy to cleanse the closets, it is exhausting.  it would be lovely to splurge on a wardrobe stylist/organizer (or maybe this stylist) to come to the house and help me with the task... maybe next year? 



from here
de-cluttering brings such satisfaction. well, you know what i will be doing this weekend.  whether or not you will also de-clutter your closet this weekend, make it a lovely one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...