Monday, October 10, 2016

stockholm weekend pics, hellasloppet


the weeks leading up to the hellasloppet - a race through the trails of hellasgården - i had hoped to prepare.  i would run, i said to myself.  i would do yoga and stretch my body, i said to myself.  i would eat healthily, i said to myself.  we registered for the race, kai and i would run the 5km and stefan the 10km.  our friends would join us too.  from that moment of signing on, all i did was work.  i didn't expect to work almost full time hours for six weeks.  i welcomed those hours; i want to work.  i love my work as a substitute teacher despite the challenges it brings; constantly being on, supervising, guiding, helping, keeping students on task.  i was mentally exhausted.  

there was self-doubt that i could run the 5km without preparation.  will my body remember what to do, will there be enough oxygen to breathe in, will my legs stay strong.  i finished the run, kai next to me those first couple of kilometers stroking my arm to keep going, his eyes telling me i could do it.  then it just clicked, i ran and i ran until i crossed the finish line.  what a feeling!







  





the boys did the sauna and dip into the freezing cold lake after the race!
then the really rewarding part took place, hanging out with our friends in their cozy home.  stefan fixed us trays of yummy pickings.  some olives, a few good cheeses.  sliced apple and red pepper.  a lot of salami and wild boar.  a couple of types of crackers and we dug in, famished from the race.  the kids came to fill up their plates as they wanted, jumping into our conversations then running away to hangout.  

my boys and i were introduced to mexican train - a fun game!  there may have been napping too.  then the main course.  slow cooked meat in the smoker.  the boys tended to it, outside in the cold drinking whiskies.  ximena in the meantime pulled together some side dishes... cauliflower, potatoes and cabbage goodness.  a pretty good end to our full day.







crazy, i think.  to work at a job i enjoy, to be able to run among the trees, to be surrounded by such special friends.  feeling grateful this canadian thanksgiving weekend.

happy thanksgiving to my canadian friends and family, i hope you had a wonderful long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...